Note: Thanks to Ramu Bhat for bringing this to our notice and for helping us through this guide. He has tested the Android 4.2.2 firmware on his bought in India Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 and it works without our problems. Most official updates come through after rigorous testing already and thus, unlike many custom roms, are meant for day-to-day use. Bhat also stated that the total RAM showed up as 750 MB when he was on Android 4.1.2 but that has somehow rose to 811 MB in Android 4.2.2. Looks like Samsung has been able to squeeze out some RAM by lowering system requirements. A noticeable thing here is that Samsung hasn't released Android 4.2.2 even for its flagship Note 2 device, so Tab 2 P3100 users should be feeling very lucky right now.
Note: If you have rooted your tablet, updating it will unroot it. If you want to regain root access or simply want to root the tablet after you have updated it to the latest Android version, follow this guide.
Before you proceed:
- Make sure that you have installed drivers for your Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 properly. Download KIES to do that.
- This guide is supposed to work on Samsung GT-P3100 only. P3100 is the "with SIM" version of Tab 2. To confirm that you have the exact same device, go to Settings > About Tablet and see the information there.
- This guide won't work on Galaxy Tab 2 P3100- China, Taiwan and Hongkong version.
- Enable USB Debugging by going to Settings > Developer Options. Once you update to Android 4.2, you will have to unlock Developer Options first. That can be done by going to Settings >About Phone and then tapping the Build Number field seven times.
- This won't void your manufacturer warranty. I have the opportunity to announce this only a few times. So, you can go ahead with this tutorial without any fear of voiding your warranty. As the rom you are flashing is stock and carries Samsung's signature, it won't trigger the binary counter and your warranty will be intact.
Stats for Nerds:
|Build Date||Mon, Jul 29,2013 02:17:49|
Guide: Update Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
- Download the update (895.1 MB) from here or here. Extract the zip file you download till you get a .tar.md5 file.
- Download Odin and extract the file. Run Odin.exe file.
- Switch off your tablet. Wait for a vibration to confirm that the device has completely shut down. Now, press Power + Volume Down and keep them pressed till you get into Download mode. If a warning message appears when you boot into Download mode, press Volume Up to continue to Download Mode.
- Connect your Galaxy Tab 2 P3100 to your PC.
- Jump to the Odin window you ran in step 2. In the Odin window, you must see an Added message which will confirm that Odin has successfully detected the tablet. If the message doesn't appear, make sure you have installed the drivers correctly.
- In Odin, click PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file from the P3100XXDMG6 folder.
- Now lets jump to setting Odin correctly for the flashing process. Don't mess with anything else other than the ones you are told.
- Keep the tickboxes against Auto-Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
- Make sure that you have followed everything that is stated above as it is. Take your time. Take a deep breath and hit the Start button.
- Be patient for the flashing process to complete. Once it completes, a PASS message will appear in Odin to state that everything went well and that the updating process is now done!
|Galaxy Tab 2 Running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Thanks for the screenshots, Ramu Bhat|
Alternative if you have Clockworkmod Recovery installed:
- Download CWM flashable zip here.
- Copy this file to your tablet's sd card.
- Boot into Clockworkmod Recovery by pressing Power + Volume Up when you are switched off.
- In cwm, select Wipe Data/ Factory Reset option. Then, go to Advanced and select Wipe Dalvik Cache option.
- Finally, go to Install zip from sdcard and select the file you copied in step 2.
Sitewide announcement: Having troubles understanding anything in this article or stuck at some cunning step? Start a topic regarding your problem in an appropriate section on our forums to get help from the Droidiser Community.